Monday, April 12, 2010

The Path of Estro

I've always had this odd dislike for corporate branding, and at some point years ago, I knew it was just a matter of time before it infected something important to me, such as running. It's not just an activity anymore though-- it has spawned a "lifestyle" of activewear clothing. No longer is a Nike headband used to soak up the sweat exerted during a draining exercise or sport-- it's part of a lifestyle of clothing, and it's now acceptable to where whenever.

Truthfully, there's nothing wrong with it, but for some reason, it just bothers me. Perhaps it's because the branding of myself isn't something I look to do while running. I don't need to show off a swoosh or set of stripes or Underarmor "U" because it doesn't help me-- what gets me to the finish line is my passion.

Coincidentally, the last photo of my essay reads the word, "estro"-- Greek for passion. It wasn't something planned, but as I laid on the gravel, and the shirt laid in front of me, I noticed just the estro of livestrong displayed. It was a pure coincidence, but fit the scene just right.

Below is my photo essay in full.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comments:

melissak said...

Mark, I just loved your take on this. I said it in class, but I will say it again, your last frame is positively brilliant.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 the flux. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator