Thursday, March 11, 2010

First Attempt at Electric Images

Some electric images I created recently; though for some reason, I'm having major trouble with sizing. I'll see what I can do about that.

The picture above was actually edited in Adobe Photoshop. One of my favorite music albums of all time is Something Corporates "North" and the cover was created in the same light with the actual picture being masked by a few like colors as if it were painted that way. The picture, for those wondering, is actually me receiving a trophy for winning a pillow fight tournament. It's a roadside traffic cone.


I love going on urban exploration trips, and this picture is the graffiti over the entrance to a satanic temple in New Jersey. I used sumopaint for this one, and I used the negative of a half-tone scheme with a squared pattern. I may change it though, because it doesn't capture the writing on the wall, which says, "You're Never Coming Back."

This is from another urban exploration trip I recently went on. It's the road sign on Shades of Death Road. I can't seem to remember the scheme I used in sumopaint, but it wasn't the negative. I'll keep looking.

This the outside of the satanic temple, which is actually located in a viaduct, which is a hollowed bridge with catacombs and rooms inside. I'm still playing with this, so I'll post a new version before class on Tuesday.



6 comments:

Julie K said...

These are great-- I especially like the second one. How'd you do that?

Colleen said...

The first one is my favorite - what are the two people holding? It almost looks like they are two giants holding a building - I guess that's the cool part about these images, the fact that, like art, they are open for interpretation. Did you intend to make it hard to figure out what they were holding?

mark chalmers said...

thanks guys! i appreciate your kind comments, even though i had some problems with the sizing. for the second pic, i used the halftone pattern in sumopaint, and changed the pattern to squares.

for the first pic, i actually used photoshop. it's a pic of someone handing me a roadside orange cone with a paper towel roll stuck in the top. it was supposed to be a trophy. i got the idea for the look from an album cover, "North" by the band, Something Corporate. they used the same style for it.

Anonymous said...

These are great! How did you get the second picture to look like that?

kezia said...

Hands down, the first picture is the best - I love it and would love to figure out how to do something similar in sumopaint. Do you have any ideas? I am impressed.

Sara said...

Mark, I really like the 2-dimensional imaging techniques. The use of it made the subjects in the first look like shadow people. I also like the view of the underbelly of the bridge; accenting the lines and removing other color and shading provides an honest portrayal of the subject.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 the flux. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator